The card can be used in the College Libraries for self-issue machines and is required for all printers throughout the college.
Your card will be waiting for you when you start college if you uploaded a photo at least 3 weeks before the start date of your course. Photos submitted after this deadline may mean that you have to wait a week or so to collect the card. We will send you a text when your card is ready to collect telling you it’s arrived and where to collect it.
It’s not just a College Card, it’s a National Entitlement Card (NEC) too.
The College side of the card has your ID Number on it, this is your College network user name. The card can be used in College Libraries for self-issue machines.
The guidance below will help you send us an acceptable photograph. Please read the following carefully before taking and uploading your photograph.
The photograph file must be:
- File type .jpeg or .jpg (Convert other file formats by opening with MS Paint and save it selecting ‘Save as type: JPEG’)
- File size not larger than 50KB (if you cannot re-size the photograph yourself, don’t worry, we can do this for you).
The photograph must be:
- Colour, taken against a light smooth background so that your features are clearly distinguishable and with no other people or objects
- In sharp focus, clear and in good light with no shadows
- A close up of your head and shoulders filling at least 80% of the frame
- Cropped from just above the top of head to collarbone.
When taking the photograph, please ensure that:
- Only you are visible, there are no other people or objects in the photograph
- You are facing forward and looking straight towards the camera with a neutral or relaxed expression
- Your eyes are open and clearly visible (no glare on eyeglasses, no sunglasses, no heavily tinted glasses and no hair across your eyes)
- Your hair is not covered unless for religious beliefs or medical reasons (no hats or hoodies)
- Your faces is not obscured
Examples of acceptable photos
Examples of unacceptable photos
If you have no suitable photograph or can’t upload one then we can take a photo for you in College, please visit any College library.
How do I upload my photo?
If you didn’t upload a photo for your Student Card when you registered you can log back into Onboarding – please follow the instructions on screen, you should have already completed a registration so you just need to Log In using your student ID and password.
If you can’t, or don’t want to upload a photograph you can come into Campus Help Points (Open 8.30 – 4.30, Monday to Friday) where we will take a photograph of you.
Your photo has to be of an acceptable passport style, please check out the information on this site before you upload your photograph. Unacceptable photos delay the production of your card and you may not have it when your course starts if we need to ask for another one.
I’ll get discounts with my Student Card, right?
This is a multi-application smartcard scheme run as a partnership between the Scottish Government, Scotland’s local councils, Dundee & Angus College and others to make it quicker and easier to access services.
Most places accept it as a Student Card for Discounts and if you are aged between 11 and 25 your new NEC will have Young Scotbranding.
This branding will give you access to all of the Young Scot information services, as well as discounts and special offers in over 1,800 places in Scotland and in over 200,000 places in 42 European countries. You can find more information at www.youngscot.org.uk
Young Persons Travel Concession – If you are aged between 16 and 18 (inclusive) or you are a full-time volunteer (30+ hours per week) aged between 19 and 25 (inclusive) you may qualify for the Young Persons Concessionary Travel Scheme.
Scotland-Wide Free Bus Travel – for older and disabled people – If you are 60 and over or have a disability you may be entitled to free bus travel. This will be shown as an orange symbol at the bottom right of your card.
I can use it for proof of age, right?
The new card will also have the PASS hologram on it, meaning you can use it as a proof-of-age card across the UK.
Can I get a new photo on my student card this year?
If you had a student card in previous years then we will have a photograph on file for you which we can use to produce your student card for 2019/20.
Production of cards begins early August.
The last date you can upload a REPLACEMENT photo is FRIDAY 4th AUGUST, after that we will use the photo we have on file.
If you’d like to update your photo then follow the link to the right on “How do I upload a photo for my Student Card?”